Tuesday, April 6, 2010

All your book are belong to me

I’m about to file an Amazon book order that’ll keep me occupied until summer. Before I do, I’d like to ask a little help from my friends.

A plea!

Send me your favourite book recommendations. What’s that horrible Kevin Spacey movie…? Pay it forward.  Send me the good stuff that moved you. Tip me off to something you loved and if I love it I’ll worship you forever.

I should probably tell you how much I enjoy a good humorist, that the writers of the 1920s absolutely slay me (in the good way), I love a suicidal female (Julia Stiles optioned the Bell Jar for a film – does that mean she’s playing Esther? Oh my god someone stop the madness) and am actively looking for the best sports books ever written.

I should tell you these things, but I won’t. If you’re mad for something and take the effort to post about it here, I’ll read it. However, please try to keep me out of the Qatar censor’s office.

Warp my brain. Pleaaase  Here's what's in the Amazon cart so far....   

 Liars’ Club – Mary Karr 

 A Spot of Bother  - Mark Haddon

Unseen Academicals – Terry Pratchett

         The Bullpen Gospels – Dirk Hayhurst

 On Boxing – Joyce Carol Oates


7.      Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole

8 comments:

  1. Moneyball, Michael Lewis; Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri; Unaccustomed Earth, Jhumpa Lahiri; Slaughterhouse 5, Kurt Vonnegut.

    And that's all I've got for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a good sports read I enjoyed John Daly's My Life in and Out of the Rough

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. The Game by Ken Dryden. I'm not very good at book recommendations, since I forget reading them almost instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andre Agassi's Open is the best sports book I've ever read. Umm if you've never read any Will Ferguson, I'd say give him a try.. Canadian political/historical satire.. one of my favs. He wrote a couple of my favourites, Bastards & Boneheads and How To Be A Canadian.. I'm planning on going through my bookshelves tonight, I'll keep an eye out for things you might like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Microserfs is still good. But you've probably read it.

    I read Jane Eyre last year for the first time, and I was glad I did. I can now drop it into random interweb posts and people think I'm more cultured than what I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished The Cellist of Sarajevo. Not the happiest book going, but I liked it. It doesn't fit into your list of book genres that you like at ALL, but, who knows, you might like it. I also read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Again...not one to lift the spirits by any means. In fact, It was rather...errr... depressing. Sorry, I guess my recommendations sort of suck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The training of Digital student loansThe digital student loans online course Kolkata
    is designed in a similar field. Social networking websites are a very
    useful and knowledgeable on the blog you can accomplish it successfully.
    It does, however, stemming from the definition of marriage", etc. Know what you want to talk in terms of shipments and profits. Feelings towards careers in geriatric healthcare. The main reason you should ever get involved is when the resellers stock the given item with ease products - all brand leaders in consumer goods do this.

    Feel free to visit my blog post; Private Student Loans for People

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on...