Sunday, July 5, 2009

It's so hot...

Whyyyy did I agree to golf tonight? I am such a SUCKER. Being outside is pretty much the uncoolest thing to do these days. Everyone's all bragging about how they avoid the heat and stay inside all of the time. It's what the cool kids do at least. Not this dumdum.

Doha is currently the hottest part of the Gulf, with temperatures reaching upwards of 48C. It’s too hot to go outside to tan and swim because the ground scorches your feet and the swimming pool feels like soup. Clear, non-delicious soup. I spent two hours completely outside in the sun last week, from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.. In a blouse and long slacks, those two hours legitimately ruined the rest of my day. New levels of sweatiness and crankiness were reached.
Something like that, yea.

The nights are uncomfortable too. Which is why this whole golf thing is a bad idea (and it has nothing to do with me sucking at golf and being afraid of embarrassing myself in front of DKM's buddies).

The stray cats I like to make fun of are taking this summer thing pretty hard. If you thought they were mangy in the wintertime – oh Laws! You should have seen the bag of bones miaowing at me this morning. He looked a lot like this guy, minus 30 lbs. or so.

Doha is a ghost town. Newspapers say the population dropped 40,000 last month (!!). The Great Doha Exodus. The roads aren’t completely riddled with traffic anymore because anyone who’s halfway clever got the hell out of town last week.

And all anyone talks about is the weather. Case in point- this blog entry. Today, I found a few minutes to write, but couldn’t think of a topic so started ranting about the heat. But really, the heat is the common unifier here. It’s the main topic of all conversations because there is really nothing else to talk about.

This heat, like the MJ story is overkill. RIP.

From this point forward, to prevent people from engaging me about the weather, in all conversations beginning, “Boy, it’s hot out there,” I'll reply with “HOWWWW HOT ISSS ITTT?” The first person to hit me back with a cormball reply- i.e. “it’s so hot the shade is looking for shade, yuk yuk yuk” will become the all-time winningest winner of winning.

Ed. Note. While Googling ‘HOT IN DOHA’ to find images of our insane weather conditions (because that makes sense) - I found these images. Anyone who knows me outside of the Interwebz will know that this is HILARIOUS (hint- the blonde girl isn’t me, keep looking).
And if you do find the above funny, you’ll be happy to hear that he honestly thinks he’s famous now. Adorable.

Speaking of hilarious – while trapped in my flat mansion all weekend, there was plenty of time to watch some Hilarious Interwebz nuggets. Please enjoy- I waste my life online for you.
1. Dr. Steve BruleBrule’s been around since 2007, and maybe I’m a few years too late, but you probably are too. This is John C. "The C stands for cellophane" Reilly in some of his finest work.

2. Because it’s impossible to have a perfect track record (career-wise, ahem), here’s Michael Jackson and Eddie Murphy taking themselves seriously.

3. The full video and text of Sarah Palin’s Resignation Speech = comedy.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty hot. It feels more like fall here in T.O. I think summer skipped us this year.

    And, as someone who works in media, I'm really, really hoping "The Thrilla from Wasilla" runs for the the White House. It would make the news cycle that much more entertaining, and I'm all for that.

    Palin 2012 - For the comic relief, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How hot is it??? ha ha.

    eyebleaf is correct. This summer's weather sucks. Just spent 5 days in Vancouver and it was NICER there! Unbelievable. We would take just half that Doha temp here and be happy. But just think Hack, the Toronto heat wave begins on July 16th!!! Nice.

    Those Marriott exec's are indeed famous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @eyebleaf - I'm all for Palin running in 2012, if only that it secures Obama's reelection.

    @ArBeeAr - Toronto can have a heatwave the entire time I'm home, I'll still be freezing. My blood has thinned and I won't be comfortable in 25 degree heat. Guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then we'll just have to turn the pool heat up to 85 degrees!!

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on...